/* */


If you plan to be in a state other than Virginia while taking courses at VCU, please note that state regulations in each state determine whether VCU may enroll you in a course or program.


VCU participates in the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), which allows students from NC-SARA member states to enroll in VCU’s programs. NC-SARA member states are shaded blue in the map below. If you have any questions about our NC-SARA status, please contact online@vcu.edu.

(Image Source: National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements, updated on August 7, 2018) 



Currently, the only U.S. state that is not participating in NC-SARA is California. The California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education does not regulate out-of-state public institutions; therefore, approval for VCU to offer educational activities is not required.

U.S. Territories

The following U.S. territories are not participating in NC-SARA: American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, and Palau. If the territory you will reside in while taking online courses at VCU is not participating in NC-SARA, please contact online@vcu.edu. We will assist you and determine if the regulations where you are located permit your enrollment at VCU. Note: If your location of residence changes to a state or territory where VCU does not meet state requirements, then you may be ineligible for certain financial aid, including from title IV and HEA funds. 


Requirements for licensure vary from one profession to another and from state to state. Faculty and administrators in VCU’s academic programs leading to professional licensure help students learn about licensure in a variety of ways. Advisors and clinical coordinators, for example, typically engage students in written and verbal explorations of the professional licensure requirements throughout the program. Some programs include academic units designed to teach students how to comply with professional licensure requirements. Contact individual programs for more information about this topic before applying to a program.

To determine whether or not the program you’re interested in meets the licensing requirements in the state in which you’re located, please contact the program directly.  

One resource that may prove helpful to students considering applying to VCU is the following directory of state licensing bodies. Consulting this chart may be a helpful step in a process that continues throughout the education and career of a licensed professional.




VCU distance education programs have not been subject to any adverse actions from any accrediting agency in the past five calendar years.


VCU’s refund policies are located in the policy library and Student Accounting website. If you have questions, please contact student accounting at (804) 828-2228 or stuacctg@vcu.edu.


Information on how to file a complaint is located on the complaint procedures page.


VCU’s authorization to operate distance education programs outside of Virginia are detailed in the State Authorization section above.